Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Is Change REALLY Possible

As I sit amongst my cluttery house in my overweight body I wonder "Can I really change the world?" I consume so much, I take so much and what do I give? I read about wonderful great people like Mohammud Yunnus. Here is a wonderful man doing something to change the world. He is not only helping people but he is giving them dignity. He is giving a hand up not a hand out. That last statement is such a cliche but true none the less. Such a miracle.
Or Aung San Suu Kyi, giving 6 years of her life to house arrest for the people who believed in her. These are the people who are being the change in the world. These are the people to look up to. These are the real heroes.
Tina Turner has a song we don't need another Hero. Is that true? Do we not need another hero? Is another word for hero Statesman, or Stateswoman. Kind of makes you want to go rent Mad Max and find out? Or study more influential people in history.
I digress. Back to my original point. Where does the motivation come from to truly change the world? Or do we need to be like Gandhi? I heard a great story about Gandhi. A mother was really worried about her son he was getting sick because of eating too much sugar. (I may be getting the details wrong but the overall message will come thru). She went to Gandhi and said Gandhi please tell my son to stop eating sugar. He replied to the woman to come back in 30 days. She wondered why 30 days and was a bit upset he would not help sooner. The 30 days past, and this woman brought her son to Gandhi and he turned to the boy and said "Don't eat Sugar" The woman was a bit taken a back and said " you made me wait 30 days to tell my son Don't eat sugar." Gandhi said "yes but you see 30 days ago I ate sugar." (Details of what was eaten are not sure)
So To be the change you wish to see in the world needs to come from within. So I can really always answer my own questions. Its just a matter of where does the motivation come from. Do I worry about the wrong things? I worry about cleaning my house, inspiring my kids to want to learn, clean clothes, clean dishes, why no matter how hard I try I can't type "the" right the first time, I constantly have to delete and fix it. So what do I need to do the moment I leave this room, to make my life and the world a better place? Honestly I need to stop worrying, and read to my kids.
Now for all of you who have been singing we don't need another hero I have something for you to watch. It is nice to see a young Mel Gibson again:




2 comments:

Canadian Mommy said...

Change is possible. If you WANT it to be.

Heather said...

We need some new posts!