Saturday, October 20, 2007

To what point does an author own the characters.

So J.K. Rowling just outed Dumbledore. I find this as unnecessary as having a gay Teletubbie. Truly, why must we work that into everyday life? So just because the world says it OK to be gay why does everything now have to have a homosexual aspect to it? Why can't it just be? I'm OK with Sesame Street becoming multi cultural and I'm glad they have a character with a speech impediment but are they next on the gay rights agenda to have the kid with 2 Moms or 2 dads? Why can't things just be?
When we read a book we give part of our life to it and part of it becomes us. I was Ok with Dumbledore being asexual. Why give him the aspect of a love life now after the books are written, after the movies are in progress? Was it truly necessary?

3 comments:

Canadian Mommy said...

I think sesame street was always multicultural don't you?

Redneckliber said...

Yes it has always been multi cultural but always asexual. Which is OK.

Easy as Epicure said...

ok I will be the dunce to ask the question.. who the heck is Dumbledore?