Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Why is the shock factor Art?

My Older girls go to the Bowman Arts Centre once a week for Art classes. They are studying drawing and clay. Which is good they both really love it.
However upstairs in one of the galleries there is a painting that makes me wonder What is Art? It is a painting of a man peeing in a toilet. Now when you look at it you don't know it is a painting of a man peeing until you read the title. It is titled "I missed a pint of Mother's blood today" It is a statement on how we treat our environment and how we waste our most valuable resources and basically flush them down the toilet. Ok good statement. But I still don't understand how an ugly painting of a man peeing is art.
The girls were upstairs looking at the paintings when they saw that one. It was interesting because we did have a conversation about it. But when I told them that it was his penis he was holding they both said really loudly "EWW". I agree Eww.
Is it shock that is Art or just something that envokes any emotion including eww?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right, it probably is shock art. Lots of artists, authors, etc. think that if they can just shock people, get them thinking, then they've written a good story, or painted a good piece of art, whatever. This applies even if you don't like it. A good example is The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. I don't understand how anyone could actually enjoy reading that story, yet it's very famous. I once read somewhere that after she wrote the story, Jackson was overwhelmed with a lot of mail, mostly from people who thought that the story had actually happened, or were wondering if it had. That last part has nothing to do w/ your post, I just think it's interesting. Kim