Saturday, October 11, 2008

My mission your mission


O.K. so we know that I dabble in the way of believing that all people were sent to earth to fulfill a mission. I believe that every single person born was sent here to complete a work of some sort or another. I also believe that everyone has a different one or a different way to go about it. A trap we can sometimes find ourselves in is coveting the mission of another person just as we covet another persons talent. I had a hard experience in this a few weeks ago and almost lost a friend. She is forgiving and things are better now.
If you follow the principles of Leadership Education as outlined in "Thomas Jefferson Education" by Dr. Oliver Demille. He outlines 7 or so missions (not in the book) and a dear friend of mine as added a few more to the list.
They are as follows
-Feed the Hungry
-Heal the sick
-Comfort the Lonely
-Create Beauty
-Preach the gospel/ Spread Truth
-Liberate the Captive
-Educate the ignorant

-Protect the innocent
-Ad Minister

I think some of the wording could be reworked but I hope you get the general idea. The last 2 my friend and mentor has added to the list so I keep them with my list.
Educate the ignorant could be taken as bad form so I would like to call it "educate the unlearned". (this is not my epiphany it came from a dear friend, but is one I agree with)
Some go hand in hand, Like spread truth, Liberate the captive, and educate the unlearned. They can be taken as interchangeable and the same thing, at least for me.
For example my mission is to liberate the captive. I am going to fulfill that mission by educating the unlearned and spreading truth.
I am really looking into Earl Shorris' project of the Clement course. I feel a real pull to it. He has created a program that helps to get people living in poverty out of poverty by teaching the humanity's. He created a free course, provides bus tokens for transportation, childcare, and a meal. The books are covered and he gets actual University professors to teach the courses. They study philosophy, poetry, literature, and American history.
There are a few classes in Canada at this time. There is one in Calgary, Vancouver, Halifax. I think they change the curriculum slightly to make it more adaptable to Canadians. They have one course in the Yukon and it is taught in the native Inuit language. There area few in Mexico that are taught in Spanish and other Native languages.
The whole thing is absolutely genius and I cry every time I read about it. That's what I want to do. I want to liberate the captive by teaching them how to think.
Here is the real kicker. I have to get the education first.

1 comment:

Mary Siever said...

Learn with me. I am still trying to find my mission beyond the here and now (I feel my current mission is my children, and raising them) but one day, something more. So learn with me, I will give you my studies if you want and we will learn together.