Saturday, February 23, 2008

Taiko Drumming

I took some of my kids to a Nature In Mind Arts Festival today. There was one very neat number with Taiko Drums. It was a great experience to sit and listen to them play. There were probably 10 or so drummers and the sound was great. The drums are big and as my 6 year old pointed out as she covered her ears, very loud.
I did a quick Google on the internet to find out more about Taiko drum and found out they were used in Japan in war and in royal court and became a symbol of religion. Thank you Wikipedia.
What was interesting is that as I sat listening to these great and awesome drums, I was moved to tears. I welled up with emotion and cried, not a sad cry, but a hey there are things greater than you, and time to get to work on being better cry. It was humbling and inspiring at the same time. I greatly enjoyed the Taiko Drums.

1 comment:

arlene said...

Weren't they awesome!! I've never seen them before, and I too was very moved. I got to talk to a few of the drummers between shows, (and help one drummer cook dinner) and it is a very interesting group. The movements, everything, are very symbolic!