Monday, July 16, 2007

Being Mormon

I am not quite sure if I mentioned it here or not but I have decided to start school in September. It will be distance studies through GWC they will be accredited next fall as well, so that is good. But I did it for me and for my family.
I had to leave a Yahoo group community. The latest discussion left me feeling rather annoyed by some of the members. We preach to teach freedom to our kids, we want them to find truth but only as long as they stay members of the right faith. If they convert to any other religion well then that is just wrong. My main question is how can we teach our kids freedom, want them to find truth then get mad at them for converting to a religion you have no respect for? I know some of the members of that Yahoo group will read this and I apologize for the offense I don't mean to give any but really think about what you are doing and what you are saying. It is coming across as really hypocritical.
I have decided this next year in our homeschooling to avoid all "community" events and just do our own thing. I have found very little joy in the lack of respect we are showing each other the lack of support and the lack of joy for the other person.
I seem to only blog lately when I am upset at some circumstance or issue brought up by someones lack of thought for another person. I am tired I am worn out. I find no joy in the so called "enlightened" group I so desperately wanted approval from.
A very wise and inspiring man once said "Teach them correct principles and they will govern themselves" That man was Joseph Smith the founder and restorer of my faith. Is this not what we are trying to teach our children? Are we not trying to teach them correct principles?
I believe he was a great man inspired by God. I also believe that when children or people who are taught to seek truth and freedom are mentored by a Mormon, they will feel the spirit and inspiration from God and that is why they will convert not because they are trying to be like their mentor.
There it is off my chest. I apologize for any offense I may have caused but I will not apologize for being a seeker of truth and being LDS. I really think we need to analyze what we are teaching our kids. I could not share this on the group because it would cause offense and great upheaval, therefore because I did not feel the freedom to share my opinion I left the group.
I look forward to this fall and seeking more truth and more freedom and the road to becoming Liber.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Hmm... I don't see it so much as an issue of conversion as an issue of having your child be mentored and instructed by someone with a completely different worldview than your own.

I mean, hey, wouldn't it alarm you to have a terrorist mentor your youth? (And terrorists don't all live in Bora Bora, Afghanistan, either!)

stacy nicol said...

hmmm...do members of different religions really have 'completely different worldviews'? I think that maybe with some study we'd see many more things in common with regards to worldviews...just food for thought.

I also wonder at comparing a terrorist to say a Baptist, Buddist, Jew, Mormon and so on ...I don't think it applies ...

Peggy, I am sad that this topic has swayed you away from the forum - I'll miss your posts but at least I can come to your blogs and glean a little.

I really like what you have to say. You have a deep faith in truth and in your children. That is a wonderful gift God has given you and you have given your children. There is no greater gift, in my mind, that a mother can give her child in that she believes in her child's ability to do what is right. You honor your children Peggy by believing in the good that is in them... you are remarkable.