Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The First Post

Well today is the beginning of my Blogging adventure. Does that feel like it should be a dance to anyone else? Maybe out there in cyber space there is a Clogging Blogger.
You may be asking yourself why does she call herself the Red Neck Liber. Well I shall explain. First we need to understand what Liber means. Liber is tree bark. In ancient times this tree bark was used to write upon. Those people who were able to read and write were considered to be liber, those who couldn't were slaves. There where then 2 classes the slaves and the liber. Liber is obviously the root word for many other words such as, Liberal, Liberty, Library. All these have to do with freedom and education. So maybe just maybe Liber is a free educated person, or a person who gains education to remain free. Oh, the epiphanies a firing off right now.
But why Red Neck? Well I have decided to home school my 6 children, a true test of patience that borders on insanity. They are all under 8. I read the book "A Thomas Jefferson Education: Teaching a Generation of Leaders For The Twenty First Century" by Oliver Demille. It struck a cord within me. I felt very moved and inspired and the comparison of public school to a conveyor belt awoke something in my mind and I pulled my kids from school. I believe they are individuals and a one size fits all education is not for them. So therefore I home school. Since I started the adventure of homeschooling I noticed a bit of a stereo type. I do not fit this stereo type at all. I eat sugar, I eat meat, I love white flour, I watch TV, and I immunize my kids. I don't think I am better or worse than anyone. It was an internal struggle to believe I was still a good liber person and still do all these things. If you choose the opposite of the things I wrote above then good for you, you will be healthier for it. But I just gotta be me.
The Home schooling is going well. we have been at it for about 2 years now and I just figured out what Core Phase at my house looks like. And for me it is a lot of consistency and spending time in the same room with the kids. a very simple thing for some of you, but for me it took 2 years. I guess I am on a slow learning curve. I have one Love of Learner who is devouring every book in our house at the moment and with my new found consistency maybe we can attempt the library. First I have to pay off their new wing with my late fees.

No comments: